Monday, January 24, 2011

Man, You Are Crushing Down Their Spirits

This "tiger parenting" phenomenon has brought to the surface very different ideals between my husband and I.  Tiger parenting, for those of you trapped under a large boulder 30 feet below Earth's surface, is the theory that raising your kids as an ultra demanding mother breeds successful adults. 
Now, don't get me wrong, most children who you are not related to or who aren't children of your friends are terrible.  They are loud, they are dirty, they cry and whine.  Bleck!  But, I am not sure that being all those things means that it is a good plan to chain your child to a violin.  It is totally acceptable to chain your children to knitting needles, though. 
I know that the argument against tiger parenting says that we are breeding kids to be unsuccessful, but feel really awesome about it.  And, that those with tiger parents are all of our bosses.  I am fine with this concept.  Now, my husband has embraced the thought of having successful children.  He wants to basically glue a musical instrument to his or her hand.  This is his retirement plan.  I'm not sold.  If you want to ensure that you have a kid who is going to be really rich and keep you in green fees and 9 irons, you only have 1!  You take all your money and put that kid in the best private school.  Maybe you don't put too much pressure on them, but just keep suggesting that you will only love them if they are doctors.  Wait, is this tiger parenting?  Ignore everything I just said.  I am totally for it.  However, I think we should employ this concept with the cats as a test run.  If we can get them to stop eating yarn using tiger parenting, then let's go for it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment