Sunday, November 7, 2010

Where is My Motivation?

In May, I attended the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival, along with every other person east of the Mississippi who has even heard of yarn.  I bought the softest cashmere yarn from a small booth.  Cashmere clothing items aren't cheap, and neither is the yarn.  It is hard for me to believe that cashmere comes from goats.  They are certainly not as cute as sheep, and they certainly don't have personalities like alpacas and rabbits.  But, they somehow fetch huge money for their wool.  Anyway, I started knitting this up with a pattern I doctored up from a stitch pattern in the book Knit and Purl.  (By the way, I highly recommend this book.)  Right away, I started on this scarf and got about a 1/3 of the way through.  Then, I put it down.  That is the death of any project for me.  I get bored with the stitch, I get turned on to something new.  It has been sitting on the needles until last night when I was husbandless and watching Couples Retreat.  I decided to seize the day and get it done.  It took me a good hour to try and figure out the pattern, but I am back on track and it is roughly halfway finished.  I put it down because I lose interest in things that I make for myself.  I only like to keep the items that I royally screw up.  The last scarf I made, I only kept because one of my furry frienemies pulled a thread.  If people judged my knitting skill based on the knitted goods I wear, they would think I am the outlet mall of knitters.  But, with cashmere, it is hard to sell something handmade given the cost of the skein and the time it takes to make it.  So, I will begrudgingly finish this scarf with myself in mind.  If it looks too good to keep, I will put it up on Etsy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment