Monday, February 21, 2011

Ice Age Heat Wave, Can't Complain

Tonight is all about dye! 
A few festivals ago, I bought some organic dye.  I bought a sample pack with several colors.  I figured that I would get a good sense of color and be able to play around with a bunch of small quantities.  Everything I have dyed with it has totally, utterly failed.  I cannot make it work.  The dye always looks great, then washes out almost completely.  I have tried every technique, every mordant, every single thing.  Bottom line:  I hate it.  Screw organic. 
I have bought some conventional dye and it is working like a dream.  Tonight, I made a lavender dye and the wool is beautiful.  It held its color.  The directions were very simple.  Now, provided this spins nicely, this will get the Cutthroat endorsement, for what that's worth. 
Although I have not had success with the organic hot mess, I have done well with food dyeing.  I am skipping the organic dye from now on.  I get that organic is the way of the future.  I know that everyone should shop at Whole Foods and be chemical free and happy.  But, I just can't.  Every adventure into Whole Foods makes me feel like I am not wearing enough hemp to stand in the checkout.  They don't even have jello.  I can never be the kind of people that live the organic life.  I will say that organic vegetables taste so good.  But, that lifestyle requires an energy I just don't have in me.  What I can be, is the type of person that shops local, recycles, breaks for animals, and generally tries to be a good person.  Those things I feel I am pretty good at.  I even tried to be a bicycle rider this weekend, after a 23 year break from being on one.  It was painful.  I am told by M'arg'ttie that it is a simple case of bike butt and it is something that you get used to.  I guess that is just something that the organic culture is in general-something you have to get used to.  And, if they want to get me on board, I need better organic dye!  I can't knit in only natural tones!  Pinks and purples are the only way into my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment