Sunday, April 3, 2011

Every Step You Take, I'll Be Watching You

It's almost that time of the year!  The largest sheep and wool festival in the country is about a month away.  I need to make some serious decisions on what I am going to compete in and what classes I am going to take.  My favorite, favorite, favorite thing about these sheep and wool festivals is the variety of events the festival-goers can attend.  You can learn knitting and spinning techniques, that is, if you are into the fiber arts.  You can also learn to sheer sheep and make your sheepdog a better herder.  But, the part that really gets me is with all the events and classes that celebrate the sheep, they also have "sheep carcass" and "lamb cooking" contests.  I mean, that really celebrates every aspect of the sheep.  My ultimate goal is to learn how best to herd it, sheer it, spin it, knit it, and cook it.  I wonder if the tiny sheep in the best in show competitions can smell their burning flesh at the gyro stand just down from the show tents?  Last year, I was busy shoving a gyro in my mouth and a sheep was lead by me on a leash.  It was almost as if its eyes were searing a whole in my body with judgment.  The little sheep was trying to figure out ways to break free and murder me.  I feel bad about that.  And, it didn't help that when I would close my eyes at night for the following week, I could see his beady little eyes.  So, this year when I am celebrating a win in the skein and garment competition, I will stand far away from the show tents as I shove a tasty gyro in my mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment