Thursday, April 21, 2011

I Just Want to Fly

Birds!  I hate birds.  I think they are sneaky, noisy, and their red, beady eyes freak me out.  I don't like pet birds.  I especially hate the ones that talk to you.  Also, their poop flies out of the sky!  Bleck!  Well, I have been confronted with my worst nightmare this week when a morning dove took up residence in my neighbor's light fixture.  Our neighbors trying to gently tell the bird that it should find more suitable housing, put a bobble head and a roll of packing tape in the fixture.  But, oh no!  This dove would not be dissuaded!  It just built its nest around the obstacles.  Now, when I have to walk by the dove to get out, it is too close for comfort.  I just keep my head down and bolt for the stairs.  Mr. Cutthroat tries to reassure the bird when he passes so it won't start attacking, "It's ok, little bird."  I appreciate that he thinks at some point it is going to reply, "Thanks, Mister!" 
To make matters worse, another morning dove showed up on the other lamp in our hallway.  That one just stares.  It hasn't built a nest yet. 
Yesterday, I went out for a morning jog and when Mr. Cutthroat and I came home, there was a THIRD morning dove.  And, this time it freaked out.  It started dive bombing us in the hallway as we tried to key into the house.  I cannot handle this gauntlet of birds every single time I go in or out of my front door!  But, at the same time, this bird is going to have baby birds in this nest.  And, while I hate birds, I love baby animals.  I would employ the usual Cutthroat tactics to evict these flying rats, but where would the tiny babies go?  And, maybe because I am letting them stay, the morning dove will walk over and leave one at my door step to raise as my own.  That is, until it becomes a real bird and that sucker is OUT! THE! DOOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment