Friday, June 27, 2014

This Hairshirt is Woven From Your Brown Hair

Who knew baby camels were so soft?  I am spinning a baby camel and silk blended fiber right now and, although I have used it before, I am always surprised at its softness.  Who was the first spinner to snuggle a camel, then to take it one step further?  I admire his/her dedication to the fiber arts.  I've got to get me a baby camel.  Ok, I just googled it and it turns out they live 40-50 years.  Scratch that. 
Isn't there a small, short-lived animal with soft fur that I can invest in?  Like a goldfish of the fiber world?  I will leave the long-term animal raising to the professional ranchers.  Also, I have already pushed my limit with Mr. Cutthroat in the "grandiose ideas" department. 
Thinking about discovering the greatness of camel hair brings this to mind:  Woman Spends 11 Years Knitting Husband a Coat and Hat Out of Her Own Hair
I don't think people would classify this lady in the same way as the camel visionary.  I do, however, admire the tactics this lady employed to bribe, coerce, or otherwise threaten her husband into wearing this.  I cannot get Mr. Cutthroat to wear the beautiful cashmere scarf I cabled on size US 3 needles.  If I came to him with a hair coat, he would likely vomit.  Bravo, lady!  Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment