Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Don't Want to Wait for Our Lives to be Over

I haven't been knitting.  Most of my yarn arts time has been spent spinning yarn and dyeing fiber.  But, with a couple of projects promised and the need for a mohair sweater, I picked up my knitting needles for the first time in months.  The very last thing I have knitted was the terrible, awful, no good, tiny needle cashmere scarf.  I will say that once I picked up my needles and my stitch book, I fell right back into it like I knitted a whole wardrobe yesterday.  And, stranger yet, I knitted with my own yarn.  I have only made one item out of yarn that I actually spun.  It was the second skein I have ever done and I had just enough to make a hat.  Now, I think of how long it takes to make a skein, and then how long it will take to knit something and I cannot justify spending the time on myself.  Certain things I won't even make for myself out of commercial yarn because I cannot justify the time spent on the project.  I have spent a lot of time on this blog talking about socks and how they are a waste of time.  In my mind, there would never be a larger waste of time than to spin yarn to knit socks from.  That's probably a good Dawson's Creek marathon for a pair of socks.  How did the pioneers do it?  And, without James Van Der Beek.  All in all, I am glad that I am knitting again.  It is definitely more portable than the wheel.  And, with Christmas coming, I always have a lot of projects to turn out.  I have to keep my mind and needles sharp for special orders of purses, stockings, and lingerie.  That's right, lingerie.  I will make anything.  I am for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment